2018 GRAND MARSHALS
The Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade is a historic and beloved tradition for locals and visitors alike, which is why each night boasts its own grand marshal. From sports all-stars to local heroes, these marshals have been bestowed the honors as the represent the best of their fields and community spirit.
Wednesday, December 19
ALBERT PUJOLS, FIRST BASEMAN FOR THE ANAHEIM ANGELS
- First baseman and two-time World Series champion, Albert Pujols has truly made a name for himself in MLB history. Pujols is a three-time National League MVP, making him one of five National League players to win the MVP award three times or more. After 18 seasons, Pujols entered the 2018 season as the Major’s active home run, doubles, RBI and games played leader. With over 600 career home runs, the first baseman has been ranked sixth all-time and enters the 2019 season only 27 home runs behind Willie Mays. In the midst of his 18th big league season (seventh with the Angels), Pujols became the 32nd member and 10th youngest of the 3,000 Hit Club.In addition to his career highlights, the MVP is no stranger to the season of giving. In 2005, Pujols founded the Pujols Family Foundation, an organization ‘dedicated to the love, care and development of people with Down Syndrome and impoverished families in the Dominican Republic, Pujols’ native country.’ Alongside his wife Deidre, the Pujols family most recently founded Strike Out Slavery in 2017 to spread awareness about modern slavery and help a global network of organizations rally against it.
- Fireworks help to kick off this year’s event and can be seen lighting the sky over the Newport Beach Pier at about 6:15 p.m.
Thursday, December 20
HOLIDAY HOMETOWN HEROES
- This year’s hometown heroes include Newport Beach Police Office of the Year, Sergeant Jason Blakely; Firefighter of the Year, Joseph Harrison; Lifeguard Supervisor of the Year, Mark Herman; and Seasonal Lifeguard of the Year, Trent Cozza.
Friday, December 21
THE YOUNG AMERICANS
- The Young Americans, founded in 1962, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of understanding and goodwill among people throughout the world. Dubbed as America’s Musical Ambassadors, they use the power of music, dance, performance, academics, and cultural interaction to foster their mission.
Saturday, December 22
A CELEBRATION OF CHRISTMAS MOVIES AND MUSIC WITH OLIVE CREST
- Olive Crest is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing child abuse and treating at-risk children. Joining the Christmas Boat Parade for the first time ever, Olive Crest will ring in the holiday season with beloved Christmas movies and music.
Sunday, December 23
CORONA DEL MAR HIGH SCHOOL DRUM LINE
- The CdM Drum Line is one of the premier performance groups at Corona del Mar High School and serves as musical ambassador, performing regularly in pep rallies as well as school and community events. The CdM Drumline Operates under the direction of Director Val Jamora and drum instructor Marc Young.
- Fireworks help to close out this year’s event and can be seen lighting the sky over the Balboa Pier at about 9:00 p.m.
“Our Christmas Boat Parade has become an honored tradition for over one hundred years now, and it just keep getting bigger and more spectacular,” remarks Steve Rosansky, president and CEO of the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce. “We have a terrific line-up of Grand Marshals, fireworks for our opening and closing nights, and millions of sparkling lights across our beautiful harbor.”