Grand Marshal Lineup Announced for 109th Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade
Hit T.V. Show Star, Entertainers, Marching Band and Heroes Lead The Parade
The Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade, the nation’s longest running lighted holiday boat parade, cruises into its 109th year of annually electrifying the Newport Beach Harbor during five consecutive nights, December 13-17, 2017, with beautifully decorated yachts, boats, kayaks and canoes, and a sparkling line-up of Grand Marshals.
Check out the exciting festivities including fireworks and an all-star Grand Marshal line-up:
Wednesday, December 13
Vicki Gunvalson from the hit show “Real Housewives of Orange County”
- Known as the “OG of the OC,” Vicki Gunvalson has appeared on the hit Bravo TV show The Real Housewives of Orange County for all 12 seasons. In addition to her fame on the small screen, she is a successful entrepreneur who owns three businesses: Coto Insurance and Financial Services, Woo Hoo Productions and Diamonds by Vicki. She has also published a book titled, “More than a Housewife,” in which she highlights her journey of self-discovery and how she has been able to provide for her loved ones. Family has always been a top priority of hers and she has maintained this as a core value throughout her life, especially now that she is both a mother and grandmother.
- Fireworks help to kick off this year’s event and can be seen lighting the sky over the Newport Beach Pier at about 6:15 p.m.
Thursday, December 14
Holiday Hometown Heroes
- These four hometown heroes were honored for the work they’ve done for the city—and now they’re being honored again by serving as grand marshals in the parade. Newport Beach Firefighter of the Year Glenn White, Newport Beach Lifeguard Supervisor of the Year Jon Mitchell, Newport Beach Seasonal Lifeguard of the Year Eric Smith and Newport Beach Police Officer of the Year Anthony Yim will serve as grand marshals on the second night, reminding parade viewers of the wonderful work done by city officials.
Friday, December 15
Orange County School of the Arts Celebrated Performance Ambassadors – “MONTAGE!”
- The third night of the parade will feature some of Orange County’s finest student performance artists as grand marshals. Orange County School of the Arts’ vocal and dance troupe, MONTAGE!, is renowned for its exuberant productions and comprised of talented singers, dancers, musicians, actors and other aspiring artists from grades 7 through 12. The school itself has been recognized for its arts education program locally, regionally and nationally; programs offered include dance, music, theatre, as well as fine and media arts.
Saturday, December 16
Charger Girls: The LA Chargers Cheerleaders
- The Charger Girls were formed in 1990 and are recognized as one of the premier dance teams in the National Football League. They have performed at the Super Bowl and internationally in Berlin, Germany; Tokyo, Japan; and Sydney, Australia. The Charger Girls perform at all home games at StubHub Center; appear in the team’s annual swimsuit calendar and serve as ambassadors for the organization at business, community and charity events. The Make-a-Wish Foundation, Wounded Warriors, American Diabetes Association and D.A.R.E. are among the many non-profit organizations which have benefited from the Charger Girls’ support. For the last 18 years, the dance team has facilitated the Junior Charger Girls program, which gives young women ages 7 to 15 the chance to cheer alongside the Charger Girls during a home game. This year’s game was against the Washington Redskins on Dec. 10 at the StubHub Center, and funds raised through the program benefited the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The Charger Girls will perform their grand marshal duties on the fourth night of the parade and they will also make an appearance at Marina Park during the opening night festivities.
Sunday, December 17
Members of USC Trojan Marching Band
- The Trojan Marching Band, known as “the Spirit of Troy,” is considered one of the most innovative collegiate bands in the U.S., and they’ll be taking on grand marshal duties for the final night. Named as among the best marching bands in the country by USA Today, 20 percent of the band is comprised of music majors, with almost every school and department in the university also represented in its more than 300 members. This year, the Trojan Marching Band will be complemented by the USC Song Girls.
- Fireworks help to close out this year’s event and can be seen lighting the sky over the Balboa Pier at about 9:00 p.m.
“Our Christmas Boat Parade has become an honored tradition for over one hundred years now, and it just keep getting bigger and more spectacular,” remarks Steve Rosansky, president and CEO of the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce. “We have a terrific line-up of Grand Marshals, fireworks for our opening and closing nights, and millions of sparkling lights across our beautiful harbor.”