2019 GRAND MARSHALS
The Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade is a historic and beloved tradition for locals and visitors alike, which is why each night boasts its own grand marshal. From sports all-stars to local heroes, these marshals have been bestowed the honors as the represent the best of their fields and community spirit.
Wednesday, December 18
Star of HGTV’s “Christina on the Coast” and “Flip or Flop
“The Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade has been part of our family holiday tradition for years,” says Christina Anstead. “Now my family and I call Newport Beach our home, it’s a full circle moment to serve as grand marshal of the Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade this year and share this memorable moment with my family and friends!”
On opening night, Christina will preside on the boat parade’s grand marshal boat, visible to paradegoers on the 14-mile route via the vessel’s deck-to-sail LED screen. Christina joins a celebrated group of Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade grand marshal alumni including actress Leslie Mann, rockstar Mark McGrath and baseball superstar Albert Pujols.
“We are thrilled to bring Christina Anstead onboard as our 2019 boat parade grand marshal,” says David Beek, Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade co-chair. “Christina is a new resident of our community and her TV show ‘Christina on the Coast’ helps to bring the beauty of Newport Beach to light and what a better way to make our parade that much brighter than with the star power that Christina brings.”
Christina Anstead is the star of HGTV’s hit series Flip or Flop and new docu-series Christina on the Coast. When the housing bubble burst close to ten years ago, Christina and then-husband Tarek El Moussa carved out a new niche for themselves in Southern California: flipping distressed properties. As a real estate agent, Christina has a sharp eye for potential hot properties and manages the interior design of the new spaces. With hundreds of successful flips on their resume, Christina and Tarek showcase their real estate and interior design savvy on Flip or Flop as they find, buy, renovate and flip homes for profit.
Her debut solo series, Christina on the Coast, spotlights her personal journey as she searches for the perfect new home to start afresh while balancing parenthood, career and a new relationship.
When not on set, Christina loves spending time with her husband, Ant Anstead, star of Motor Trend series Wheeler Dealers, their five kids and French Bulldog, Cash.
- Fireworks help to kick off this year’s event and can be seen lighting the sky over the Newport Beach Pier at about 6:15 p.m.
Thursday, December 19
NEWPORT CHAMBER HONORS: BUSINESS PERSON OF THE YEAR JIM WALKER and CITIZEN OF THE YEAR NANCY GARDNER
- Jim Walker has been a pioneer in the Orange County culinary scene for almost five decades. Jim ventured into the restaurant business in the early 1970’s when he opened his first restaurant, Bessie Walls Fine Food & Spirits. Subsequently, Jim moved on to own and operate a series of restaurants including Pasta Mesa Italian Restaurant in Costa Mesa, Domenico’s Pizza in Long Beach, Big Fish Tavern in Laguna Beach and Cedar Creek Inn in Brea, However, to his hometown friends and customers, Jim is best known as the owner of The Bungalow here in Corona del Mar, which is celebrating its 23rd anniversary.
- Nancy Gardner has deep roots in the city. Her father (a previous Citizen of the Year) came to Balboa in 1920 as an eight-year-old. Her parents met at the Rendezvous Ballroom.Her early years were spent riding in the Irvine hills and surfing local beaches. After graduating from college she taught school until the birth of her daughter, Samantha. Eventually, she entered the corporate world where she was part of a team selected by federal regulators to rehabilitate a failing savings and loan. Mission accomplished, she left the world of business and began to do volunteer work, co-founding the Newport Beach chapter of Surfrider Foundation and eventually serving as president of the national organization. In 2006, she was elected to city council where she served two terms and then returned to the role of volunteer, serving on the boards of Orange Coast River Park Conservancy, Natural Communities Coalition and Friends of Newport Beach Animal Shelter.
Friday, December 20
THE YOUNG AMERICANS
- The Young Americans, founded in 1962, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of understanding and goodwill among people throughout the world. Dubbed as America’s Musical Ambassadors, The Young Americans use the power of music, dance, performance, academics, and cultural interaction to foster their mission.
Saturday, December 21
HOLIDAY HOMETOWN HEROES – NEWPORT BEACH POLICE OFFICER OF THE YEAR, FIREFIGHTER OF THE YEAR, LIFEGUARDS OF THE YEAR and CIVILIAN OF THE YEAR
- We salute our Newport Beach local heroes – those first-responders and lifesavers who serve our local communities. Join us in celebrating these selfless professionals dedicated to keeping our city safe.
- This year’s hometown heroes include Newport Beach Police Officer of the Year – John Miller and Newport Beach Police Chief Jon Lewis; Firefighter of the Year, Bobby Salerno; Lifeguard Supervisor of the Year, Adam Yacenda; Seasonal Lifeguard of the Year, Carly Christian and Civilian of the Year Raymi Wun.
Sunday, December 22
CORONA DEL MAR HIGH SCHOOL DRUM LINE accompanied by STAN FRAZIER
- The CdM Drum Line is one of the premiere performing groups at Corona del Mar High School. It serves as a musical ambassador, performing regularly in pep rallies as well as school and community events. The CdM Drumline Operates under the direction of Director Val Jamora and drum instructor Marc Young.
- Stan Frazier always knew he wanted to do one of two things when he grew up: be a drummer in a rock band or go to culinary school and become a chef. For the past twenty-five years, Frazier has been the drummer and principal songwriter for the band SUGAR RAY. After racking up six Top 10 hits and selling over 10 million records, he decided it was time to trade in his drumsticks for a set of new Japanese knives and chase his culinary dreams. Recently, he did just that. Frazier is the co-‐owner of Sgt. Pepperoni’s Pizza Store in Newport Beach, CA.
- Fireworks help to close out this year’s event and can be seen lighting the sky over the Balboa Pier at about 9:00 p.m.
“Our Christmas Boat Parade has become an honored tradition for over one hundred years now, and it just keep getting bigger and more spectacular,” remarks Steve Rosansky, president and CEO of the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce. “We have a terrific line-up of Grand Marshals, fireworks for our opening and closing nights, and millions of sparkling lights across our beautiful harbor.”